Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Quotations


I once had a witchy, but effective, English teacher who berated students for using the word "quotes" when referring to snippets of conversations. She insisted we call them by their proper name, "quotations." Something about one's a verb and one's a noun... ;)

Anyway, here are some good quotations, from our conversations as of late:

Emily, at 10pm, was coming up with excuse after excuse about why she couldn't fall asleep. This was our favorite: "But it's so hard to NOT think of Pumas."

Charlotte: "I.did.it!!!!" Whenever she does something, or anyone does something for her. So in a way it means "I did it - I got Daddy to give me more pretzels / cheese / yogurt / blueberries!!!"

Emily, in a super inquisitive voice, "Why do I get hurt so much?!? I just don't know."

Emily often asks us why so-and-so does something, and then she'll answer her own question by saying, "Because that's how God made them, right?" Which has proven very helpful in appeasing our quizzical girl who asks about all sorts of tricky situations. Although, this backfired on us once when we were complaining about her s-l-o-w eating habits. She wisely asserted, "Well that's how God made me." Touche' Em. Touche'.

Walking home from gymnastics in 85 degree weather, I said, "I sure hope the house is cool when we get home." Emily then said, "I sure hope the house is clean when we get home." What!?!? She followed that up with, "I don't know why, I just like a tidy house." Agreed, Em. Agreed.

Charlotte wakes up every morning and asks excitedly, "Hoper day?!" (She spends weekdays in Hope's care.)

While watching me brush her hair in the bathroom mirror one morning, Em got all serious and asked, "Mom, don't you sometimes wish you had long hair like me??"

One evening while playing on the floor Emily suddenly asked, "Can we make some dust carrots?" We didn't quite know how to respond, until a couple seconds later when she said," You know, for the dust bunnies to eat??" Guess we need to clean under the couch more.

Charlotte's tasked with being a "good girl" so often, she now instructs Mama and Emily to be "gooh ghirls" too. After bedtime hugs, before leaving the house, when Emily runs to use the bathroom. And she wags her finger at us when saying it too, so we know she means business.

These girls of ours are chatterboxes... so more to come soon!

1 comment:

  1. These are sooo cute! I can't even pick a favorite- each is just perfect :)

    ReplyDelete